Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Re-Grow Green Onions

I don't know about you all, but I LOVE green onions. I use them almost with everything. You can put them in scrambled eggs or make a quiche. Anything that calls for Garlic & white or yellow onion and even spinach, you can throw in some Green Onion. I went to Meijer and they aren't very expensive. About .50 or 2/$1.00 for 5 or 6 in a bundle BUT! what if there was a way to recycle your green onions and grow them again!! Well there is a way!!

You use as much as you need, I cut them down till they are getting yellow. Place them in a small cup with water and let them sit in the sun. Day by day they will grow! You can only grow the onions one time from the original but it is a fun thing for the kids to watch!  It takes about 2 weeks for them to be fully grown. Another cool thing is, I don't use all of them at once, so one by one as I use them I stick them in the water so they are matured at different times! You can definitely turn this into a money saving trick and a science project!

Day 5 - you can see were it was originally cut and how much is grown!
Day 7.

                                            Change the water about every 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment